I did some major email cleanup, archiving about 6 years worth of mail and starting with a fresh, empty email client (still Mailsmith, although that might be changing soon)
After a few months of close monitoring, I shut the catch-all email addresses for my domains off. That means firstname.lastname@example.org, but will greatly reduce the amount of random spam I receive. I also took a first pass at removing unneeded aliases, and I’m down to 151.
Next step is take the active aliases that were setup specifically for account signups and see if I can’t change the address. In my ideal world I’m down to one email address per domain, although I question how realistic that is. First initial, last name @alanstorm.com should get me if you need me.
I envy people who trust Google with their mail.